Kirsten Olsen asked me: Why do you tweet? Why should I? How do you manage it?
That's a great question that I get asked A LOT. Once people who don't use twitter find out that I do use it...and I use it often...they start asking questions. So I thought I'd post my response to Kirsten here on studentlinc.10 Reasons Why I Tweet...
1. I tweet because it's the next evolution of social media and
communication through emerging technology. Since I tend to be an early
adopter in both of those areas I dive in with both feet.
2. I tweet because it gives me access to people and information that I wouldn't normally have access to through other channels of communication.
3. I tweet because it's a great place to get questions answered and research information in REAL TIME.
4. I tweet because it is another way to increase my influence in the world (read this great article by Michael Hyatt - http://michaelhyatt.com/2009/
5. I tweet because it helps me stay in contact with people.
6. I tweet because it exposes me to a lot of various thoughts and ideas I might not know about otherwise.
7. I tweet because it adds a whole new level of interaction around big events that I'm actually experiencing or experiencing through Twitter.
8. I tweet because it is another unique way to let people know what I'm doing, what I'm interested in, and what has my attention (thanks Michael Hyatt for that last one).
9. I tweet because there are a lot of interesting people tweeting and I don't want to miss out.
10. I tweet because the only way you understand, learn, get better at, develop your voice, and immerse yourself in Twitter is to actually TWEET!
I also added the following in case your curious about how I include Twitter into my workflow:
Right now I use Seesmic Desktop as my main Twitter app on my work PC and my personal MAC. On my iPhone I use a combination of TweetDeck, Tweetie, and iTwitter. I use columns and create groups of people that I want to listen to specifically. I also have a couple of search terms that I always have open in a column to listen to what people are talking about.
I designed the background on my twitter homepage and created a special landing page on my studentlinc site for people to visit that follow my link from my twitter homepage (http://studentlinc.typepad.
com/studentlinc/timage_ twitter.html). I also include my twitter name in my email signature.
If someone asked you why or how you use Twitter, what would you say?