I have tried a number of to do list programs that are on the internet (tada list, remember the milk, toodledo, voo2do, even my netvibes start page). I have accounts with all of them. In fact, I don't feel productive unless I've opened an account on a new Web 2.0 To Do list program within the last week.
As you may have read in a post I put up yesterday, I love Gmail. It is my email conduit of choice. It's easy to use and organizes my mail in a way that I can find things I'm looking for. Plus, Google gives you nearly 3GB of memory so you can hold on to your emails and not worry about running out of room.
I also have become a fanatical Jott user. Jott is a cool piece of software that allows you to call in from your cell phone (or any phone you set it up for) and record a message. That message is then transcribed and sent to you as an email or an SMS. It changes your voice to text. Jott has just rolled out some incredible updates where you can send a note, not only to yourself, but to other people who's email addresses or SMS #'s you have loaded into your contacts. Send a message to one person, or a group of people. It's super easy. And did I mention that both Jott and Gmail are FREE?!?
Now for the moment you've all been waiting for...here's where the two meet and create my to do list.
1. If you don't have an account with Gmail, you must set one up by going here.
2. Once you have logged into your Gmail account, go to the "Labels" box on the sidebar and click on "Edit labels".
3. In the entry box marked "Create a new label", type in the name of your label that you will store all of your to do's and hit enter. (Mine is called "*TODO" - the asterisk keeps the label at the top of the list of labels in the sidebar).
4. Now go to the top of the screen and click on "Settings" then "Filters" then "Create A New Filter".
5. In the "From" box, enter the email address "email@example.com". In the "Has the words" box, enter "[Jott to Self]" (Note: you must enter this phrase or every email from Jott will be labeled as a to do.)
6. Click on the "Next Step»" button.
7. On the new page that comes up, you will choose an action. Select the "Apply the label:" box and select your to do label you created from the pull-down menu.
8. Click on the "Create Filter" button.
You're all set. Everytime you call Jott with a to do, the email will be routed through you gmail with your "to do" label on it. It works like this...
1. Figure out what your to do is. (C'mon, you've got to have something to do!? Let's say I need to remember to make reservations at a hotel).
2. Simply call Jott (set up an account and then dial 1-877-568-8486 from the phone you set up on the account).
3. When the recording starts, it will ask you who this Jott is for. Say "me!"
4. Record your message after the beep: "Remember to make reservations at the hotel."
5. Hang up. Your Jott will arrive in your email shortly.
Whenever you want to view all of your to do's, simply click on the label in your sidebar. When you complete a to do, you can delete the email. There are numerous ways to tweak this system. If you've done something a little differently. Leave a comment below.